Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Few Thoughts

So I've finally got my scope back and have been birding daily with it.  Its amazing that I can actually SEE the birds now!!! WOOHOO!!!! (I had been borrowing one that had really sucked.)

Its funny how much more you appreciate something once its gone and then you get it back.  I don't think I'll ever complain about my scope (if it remains unbroken) again.

As many of you may know, within the past few years I've been through quite the trials.  I wish I didn't have to go through such trials to learn to appreciate things and to the importance and value of of them in my life.  While a scope may not seem important to most people - it is the lifeline of any birder looking into ponds, oceans, mudflats, etc.  Still, most of the trials I've been through have been on a much larger scale such loosing friends, failing to achieve goals, and perhaps the most trying experience of all - dealing with the pain, inability to move, and necessary humility which accompanied the development of Rheumatiod Arthritis.

Reflecting on the lessons learned through these trials reminds me that no matter what happens I will grow from it; you grow from both positives and negatives.  While I hope for a few more positives in the next few weeks than have existed in the last few, I recognize that the negatives lead to positives and really aren't as bad as they seem initially.  

Recent negative experiences have reminded me how AMAZING my friends are and how many in number they truly are - so many people have been supportive and encouraging - even some who I never expected to be there for me after everything still remain.  Additionally, I have been reminded at my own strengths, how lucky I am to be where I am and have what I have, and that I really do love what I do and that it can help me through anything as well.  

With all of that going for me - there is no possibliity that the negatives outweigh the positives at any point in time.  For, even if it doesn't always initially seem like it, all it takes is some reflection and perspective to remember, see, and feel it.

No comments: