Thursday, November 20, 2008

Kicked in the face

"Most would a agree that a kick in the ass is a good thing every now and then, but a boot to the head…  maybe not so much."

A "wise man" once told me this not long ago shortly after I was literally kicked in the face playing soccer.  We didn't have a sub so I remained in the game without being able to see out of my left eye.

My eye is slowly returning to proper color and shape, but even worse than the swelling, headache, and initial blurry vision of this injury has been my personal and work/school life these past few days. 

I felt as if I would never finish anything I needed and felt as if I was completely wasting my time.  I haven't felt like that in over a year and it really was getting me down... even having good conversations with close friends about things I cared about wasn't helping.

Yet, I am glad to say that somehow today after my last class I just felt better.  I feel happier about what's going on, I'm stoked about birding on Saturday, my sister visiting, my project, the progress I've made on assignments, and just overall good.

I don't really know why but I'm not going to complain.  I was way more productive than I thought I would be today, and maybe that's part of it.  I'm having dinner with an old friend tonight after months of talking about it, and maybe that's part of it.  

I don't know exactly what it is, but it works.  

Just reminds me that life will get you down at times; sometimes you get kicked in the face.  And instead of the good provoking response from an ass kick, you litterally ended up blinded as to where you are, what you're doing, and why you're doing it.  

But that doesn't mean you leave the game.  You toughen up and work through it. Slowly but surely your vision will return.

Or at least it will figuratively, hopefully litterally too... or you may want to see a doctor.

1 comment:

Anna said...

i liked that ^_^ yes, life is full of kicks to the face unfortunately, but you raise a good point. Shake it off, rub some dirt on it (says the nurse), and get back in the game!!! -_^